Yet another month is drawing to a close and it’s time for the AJE team and our guests to reveal what we’ve created with this months special component. Jennifer Cameron supplied us with some beautiful lampwork headpins this month and as usual, I forgot to take a picture of mine before I started working with them – doh! Fortunately Jen’s picture shows my headpins…I received two of those on the left, a lovely soft blue with gorgeous encased murrini.
For me the most difficult thing about working with decorative headpins in that you only get one shot – mess it up and at best you have buckled wire to try and make a feature of and at worst the overworked wire snaps…been there, done that. I usually do a trial run with some scrap wire but I still hold my breath when I start on the real thing.
The germ of the idea was some sort of wrapping around a ring but that seemed a little dull so I dug around for something extra and came up with a couple of my own domed bronze flowers. They were the right size for the headpins so I drilled and hammered some copper washers, bit the bullet and started wrapping…
I liked the play of the two metals against each other especially with the added depth when oxidised so I decided to go for a
full medley of metals and made some sterling silver earwires. I really
like the contrasts with the blue green and I think these are a good showcase for Jen’s headpins.
You can see what everyone else made with their components by clicking on the links below.